Bitter-leaf has the capacity to grow anywhere unlike other leaves that only grow in certain places and temperature.
The most distinctive feature of this plant is its bitterness. Every part of this plant is bitter starting from the leaves to its roots. The bitterness of this plant is actually good for the body.
The important thing this leaf does is to clean the blood, hence prevent sickness. Apart from using the leaves as vegetable in soups, the leaves are also washed and squeezed to extract the juice from it.
Bitter Leaf are broken down into the following;
- Bitter leaf is very useful in toning the vital organs of the body especially the liver and the kidney.Bitter-leaf can be very helpful in maintaining the livers optimum health to release bile acid every time people eat fatty foods.
- Another major function of the liver is the production of glycogen. Glycogen is stored energy that is released when glucose level is low especially for those who fast.
- Diabetic patients can also use bitter-leaf as one of their medication to prevent high sugar level in the blood. It will not only lower the sugar level in the blood but also repair impaired pancreas.
- It increases the rate of metabolism in the body system thereby improving weight loss.
- It contains anti-parasite, anti-bacteria properties that is needed to cure malaria. It is therefore an anti-bacteria
- It detoxifies the blood, prevents indigestion, rheumatism, scurvy and nourishes the skin.
- Cures common skin diseases, such as eczema, ring worms, rashes etc, just by squeezing the leaves and applying it to the affected parts.
- Bitter leaf juice when taken by nursing mothers, improves the quality and production of breast milk.
- Cures mild stomach ailment, pile, fight liver problems, and energizes the body.
- It is a rich source of vitamins, such as Vitamin A, vitamin B1 & B2 which are needed by our body.
- May reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Can reduce cholesterol which in turn helps reduce the risk factors associated with Stroke, Heart Attack and Alzheimer’s.
- Contains Antioxidants in abundance which helps to check oxidation thereby increasing the body’s disease fighting properties.
- Bitter leaf also cleans the lymphatic system as well.
- For smokers or those exposed to secondary smoke, bitter leaf is useful by protecting the body against pollutants that come from cigarette smoke and some dangerous gas
- It heals Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD).
- It helps in the treatment of pneumonia.
- For people suffering from insomnia, taking bitter leaf juice at night helps.
- It soothes swollen joints and relieves pain.
So what are you waiting for? Bitter leaf and Bitter leaf soup all the way!