WHY SHOULD I RAISE RABBITS?
ARE THEY ANY BETTER THAN OTHER DOMESTIC LIVESTOCK?
Rabbit farming is very rewarding because of the following reasons:
1. Rabbits are the most productive of domestic livestock. A rabbit only takes 6 months to mature. Their gestation period is only 30 days and on average, a female rabbit gives birth to 30 young ones per year.
2. They are very cheap and easy to feed as they mainly feed local weeds and water. You can as well feed them on rabbit pellets if you can afford them.
3. They occupy little space hence suitable for most rural farmers who are small scale.
4. They are quiet animals that can be raised in any environment.
5. They rarely get sick unless kept in unhygienic conditions.
6. Their meat is white, high in protein and low in fat and cholesterol. Its health advantages make it high on demand especially in institutions such as restaurants and hospitals.